If you have questions, please feel free to contact me through the form below:
The Japan Fan Studies Tour 2019 will take place from December 13-23, 2019. Intended for faculty, independent researchers, and advanced PhD students, it is a 10-day guided trip through some of Japan’s most significant and iconic sites of popular culture activity and consumption, including the Ghibli Museum, Akihabara, Otome Road in Ikebukuro, and the International Manga Museum in Kyoto.
Cost for the tour is US$2000, which includes:
- all accommodation while participating in the tour
- entry to the Ghibli Museum (pending ticket availability)
- entry to the Kyoto International Manga Museum & workshop participation
- formal kaiseki meal in Kyoto
- roundtrip train fare between Tokyo and Kyoto
- one prepaid IC card (rechargeable) worth ¥5000 for ground transportation
- shared van for transfer from Tokyo hotel to Shinagawa Station
- administration fee
In addition to this fee, participants are responsible for:
- roundtrip airfare to/from Japan
- the cost of optional activities (including theme parks or theatrical performances)
- IC card recharging above the initial ¥5000
- traveler’s insurance
The tour is limited to a total of 15 participants. Adult partners are welcome, but children cannot be accommodated without prior discussion. Should this limit be reached, registration will remain open on a waitlist basis through July 30, 2019.
A minimum of six participants is required for the tour to take place; in the event that fewer than six people register to participate, it will be canceled.
Deadline for registration: July 30, 2019
Downpayment of US$200 due: upon receipt of final registration confirmation (Aug. 1, 2019)
Full payment due: September 30, 2019