If you have questions, please contact me using the form below.
The Japan Fan Studies Tour 2019 will take place from December 13-23, 2019. This tour is open to university employees and independent researchers (terminal PhD required), and advanced PhD students. It’s a 10-day guided trip through some of Japan’s most significant and iconic sites of popular culture activity and consumption, including the Ghibli Museum [pending ticket availability], Akihabara, Otome Road in Ikebukuro, and the International Manga Museum in Kyoto. Please click on the link at the bottom of the page for a look at last year’s schedule.
Cost for the tour is US$2000 per participant, which includes:
- all accommodation while participating in the tour
- entry to the Ghibli Museum (pending ticket availability)
- entry to the Kyoto International Manga Museum & workshop participation
- formal kaiseki meal in Kyoto
- roundtrip train fare between Tokyo and Kyoto
- one prepaid IC card (rechargeable) worth ¥5000 for ground transportation
- shared van for transfer from Tokyo hotel to Shinagawa Station
- administration fee
In addition to this fee, participants are responsible for:
- roundtrip airfare to/from Japan
- the cost of optional activities (including theme parks or theatrical performances)
- IC card recharging above the initial ¥5000
- traveler’s insurance
The tour is limited to a total of 15 participants. Adult partners are welcome, but children cannot be accommodated without prior consultation.
A minimum of six participants is required for the tour to take place; in the event that fewer than six people register to participate, it will be canceled.
Deadline for registration: 10 September 2019
Downpayment of US$300 due: upon receipt of final registration confirmation (15 September 2019)
Remaining balance of US$1700 due: 30 October 2019